Saturday 21 May 2011

Chocolate and Wine. Together. In a Bottle!

Chocolate and Wine are two of my favourite things, sometimes together, sometimes not, but always delicious and indulgent. So imagine my delight today when, at The Foodies Festival in Tatton Park, Cheshire I found Chocolate Wine. Together. In a Bottle. You did read that right.

'The Secret' Chocolate wine, created and bottled in Ramsbottom, Bury, is an English (no less) fortified wine infused with real chocolate essence. It's well knows that port works well with dark chocolate which, with a high percentage of cocoa solids, can help reduce some of the bitterness. Chocolate also adds an extra layer of silkiness to port and both of these traits shine through in this delightful tipple.

I probably should have taken the picture before
breaking into it... but I couldn't help myself.

In the glass, this wine is cherry red, not dark like an aged wine - it looks young and fruity. As you swirl the glass and hold it to your nose, the aroma is Green & Blacks Cherry Chocolate made into ice-cream form - wow, heaven. As you taste, the first sensation is velvet, followed by smooth chocolate, with a lasting cherry and strawberry note, all compliemnted but not overpowered by the wine itself. Perhaps this is due to the alcohol content - not shudder inducing 20-25% of port, but a nice wallowing 12% proof, making this warming, not burning.

I can imagine a glass of this in front of the fire at Christmas, but it wouldn't be out of place at the end of a meal for those not partial to cheese and port. In fact, I'm drinking this now at 4.15pm (it's a Saturday, don't judge me, and please don't tell anyone).

My only concern with this wine is it's shelf life of 6 months after purchase, and 1 month after opening. It's a real shame, but then again, I'm not sure this wine will make it that far. I have recipes planned!

You can buy a bottle of this wine from The Vineyard's Online Store, or in person from Ramsbottom in Bury. But whatever you do, buy a bottle soon, you won't regret it.

('The Secret' Chocolate Wine, £9.95 from The Vineyard Wine Shop)

1 comment:

  1. We're going to the Foodies Festival on Saturday! I can't wait to try the chocolate wine- genius!! Any other recommendations?

    ReplyDelete